• The steelworks must run 24/7, 365 days a year: Any shut down causes a knock-on effect. When the flow is broken, the furnaces immediately start to cool down and can take 1 to 2 days to get back up to the correct smelting temperatures.
• European laws compliance: Reduce the amount of dust in the atmosphere on-site, as well as emissions to the Dunkirk region.
Improving the dusting process for better steel quality, process reliability and working condition with EcoStruxure TM Plant
Apps, Analytics & Services: Modernization services
Edge Control: Modicon M580 automation system
• 20 years of partnership and experience in the steel industry have helped Schneider Electric to provide the correct solutions in the right environments.
• EcoStruxure Plant architecture brings advanced connectivity for a better control of the entire process from the foundry to the management offices.
• Modicon M580’s CCoF (Change Configuration on the Fly) feature allows maintenance and engineering teams to modify the automation control system without stopping the process.
• Ethernet connection makes the M580 more flexible, simple to install and easier to control remotely.
- ArcelorMittal’s Dunkirk plant is the largest steel factory in Western Europe.
- Every year, it manufactures 7 million tons of steel for a host of international customers, including automotive, construction and food and beverage packaging industries.
- Consistent steel quality is critical to ArcelorMittal – and so is high availability as it can take up to 2 days to get the furnaces back up to their high smelting temperatures after an interruption.